Friday, September 29, 2017

Be Patient With Lake Orion Football.

Written Saturday September 30th at 12:05 AM

People have asked me what is going on with Lake Orion Football???

"Why have they been struggling???,""why aren’t they winning games???," "they suck now."

People don’t understand at times the Rome was not built overnight. People I assume these days feel like the years from 2001-2013 when we were winning games, winning championships. I feel we were spoiled at times seeing great football, making the playoffs. I was on the 2004 and 2005 teams, we won a district championship in my Senior season, something I will always cherish for the rest of my life.

I’ve seen the 2008 team when they went through “the five weeks from hell” to get to the State Finals, to winning it all in 2010, and in 2012 only to get screwed by a bad call against Detroit Cass Tech in the State Semifinals.

I understand the frustration of the community seeing this proud program go through some dark times, going 14-20 since 2014. I know it’s frustrating but what is it that is making the program suffer???

Every Lake Orion team has fought, worked hard, and continues to work hard and fight but the league has really changed since I’ve been a player. The league has gotten better, look at West Bloomfield, they added transfers to the fold, they started winning, Clarkston has always had a solid feeder program go through their area, Southfield Arts and Tech merged schools and added kids from the Detroit area, Adams is always Adams, Bloomfield Hills added a quarterback from Birmingham Brother Rice that is going to Ball State, Oxford has had some good teams as well. West Bloomfield, Southfield Arts and Tech, and Clarkston are open enrollment schools, something I do not like very well, I’ve have always believed in homegrown talent and one or two transfers.

Sometimes transitions are always hard and that’s what we are seeing here with the football program. Now the Dragons have some flaws especially in the secondary but the reason why they sit at 1-5 is not about the talent, coaching, getting the job done, or effort.

It was the schedule and the league.

When the schedule and league were put together the Red had eight well established programs ready to beat each other up. When I saw the schedule, I knew this was the toughest I have seen in my 15 years playing or being involved with the Dragons football program. I didn’t like the reason why Chippewa Valley was on the schedule, I always believe that the first game should always be a confidence boost and getting a team well on its way to a successful season. Since putting the Big Reds on the schedule, Lake Orion has lost all four meetings to Chippewa Valley. I worried in those meetings with the Big Reds that it would damage the team’s confidence and the records have proven that statement true. I also noticed that the Dragons haven’t beaten West Bloomfield since 2013 and Clarkston since 2010, those have to change and soon if Lake Orion wants to be back where they were at years ago.

I’m optimistic with this program under first year coach John Blackstock for a few reasons. First, I’ve played under him when he was the secondary and Special Teams coach during my two seasons of playing. Second, he is a proven winner, he knows what he is doing.

Lake Orion will win games in the future. I encourage everyone in the community to be patient with this team. This proud Dragon football program will be back and better than ever and it will start with this group.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment