Monday, October 19, 2015

Dragons Football MUST Change if they want success in the future.



Written Monday October 19th at 2:35 PM.

The days of Orion football being a power in football is over. It’s hard for me to say this looking at the success the football program in years past.

What I watched on the sidelines Friday night against Clarkston was despicable when they trailed 35-0 and would eventually lose 35-14. This program has lost seven of the last ten games to the Wolves. The Dragons won’t make the playoffs for a second straight season. I’ve never seen Coach Chris Bell call the ENTIRE team over for a group huddle during a game. It’s never happened, it should had never been this way.

When I played football ten years ago as a defensive lineman, I was the softest on the team physically but by emotional and mental spirit was tough. I had to earn my “RELENTLESS” t-shirt just like everybody else through hard work and dedication. My class along the Junior Class which would be the 2007 group was Orion Tough.

The Orion Tough mentality the one I knew is gone.

Who replaced it, who created this culture where losing is acceptable??? 

When I played losing wasn’t acceptable and my football family took losses personally.

I didn’t like that fact that Bell allowed football players who are on the Homecoming Court to be there for halftime instead of not being with their team. In 2013, I guess he was pressured and forced to do this, which is something I didn’t like. When I played, this never happened, no players were out there during halftime. They didn’t want to be there during halftime because they wanted to win the football game, heck I was nominated on the Homecoming Court and didn’t want to be a part of it because I wanted to win a football game and go to the playoffs.

In some players minds it seems to me that football has become SECONDARY. Secondary I ask why is that with open arms in disgust??? Are their people that think that football isn’t their main sport or do they just don’t care for the sport that brings the whole community together? Is wearing the jersey the only reason why you play? It takes work, commitment, and honor to wear the Dragons jersey every Friday night. I participated in three sports football, basketball, and track and I treated them all equally. I took all of them seriously even if I wasn’t the best player. 

The mindset of the players must change, they must understand that wins are EARNED, not given to them. You can NOT go into games feeling defeated, you have to come expecting to win every game but understand you have to earn those wins, wins are not given.

During football games I blame the student body and culture. Since when did we get complacent, spoiled, and entitled??? When was that??? I don’t know. When I played ten years ago yeah the drum-line came out and did their thing in the fourth quarter BUT we were blowing out people and to me that was acceptable and when we were in a tight games, we had the students, band, and cheerleaders behind us knowing the situation when the game was on the line. They knew what was at stake.

I’m not sure now what this group thinks or even cares and that is frustrating to me, it's sickening. In myths of the football team needing their students, band, and cheerleaders. They aren’t there for them, they just want to have fun and do the traditions even if WE ARE LOSING??? To me that ticks me off especially watching the games on the sidelines.

This must change if any success come on the football field. This program is no longer a state power, it’s not what it’s used to be and that must change.

No comments:

Post a Comment